Clinic Supervisor – Alicia Roberts Medical Center
SEARHC was established in 1975 under the provisions of the Indian Self-Determination Act as a non-profit health consortium which serves the health interests of the residents of Southeast Alaska. The intent of this legislation was to have Indian Health Service programs and facilities turned over to tribal management. Our contracting with IHS began in 1976 when we took over management of the Community Health Aides Program. In 1982, we took over operation of the IHS Juneau clinic, now the Ethel Lund Medical Center, and took over operation of Sitka’s Mt. Edgecumbe Hospital in 1986. We are one of the oldest and largest Native-run health organizations in the nation.
This position is responsible for the overall activities of communications, scheduling and registration functions and is responsible for oversight of staff to assure consistent and accurate registration and scheduling of patients into computerized scheduling and health information systems. This contributes to timely and accurate billing and optimal reimbursement for all services rendered. Additionally, this position is responsible for some clinic wide coordination of activities and tracking of data.
- Supervisory Responsibilities: General supervision of Patient Access and Scheduling staff. Facilitates staffing needs including recruitment, interviewing and hiring of staff. Coordinates staff scheduling and work assignments. Additionally this position is responsible for handling personnel issues with guidance from the Clinic Administrator. Schedules and conducts routine staff meetings to ensure good internal and inter-departmental communications.
- Training: training staff on the registration/scheduling procedures, and the requirements for establishing and registering patients. Evaluating and working to improve staff competencies to ensure that staff performs at an optimum level. This includes establishing standards of performance for conduct and productivity for each staff member, and evaluating staff as needed
- System Related Responsibilities: Responsible for maintaining user rights accessing Cerner, RPMS, and other health information systems for staff. Acts as a technical resource for all registration/scheduling related areas.
- Works with Clinic Manager and Sr. Patient Access Manager to develop internal policies and procedures to maintain smooth and orderly operation of the Patient Access and Communications Departments.
- Clinic Admin Support: Works closely with the medical director to develop the provider schedule, meeting calendar and to make sure those are translated accurately into the scheduling system. Responsible for ordering needed clinic supplies.
- Improvement Initiatives: Work closely with Clinic and Patient Access leadership on improvement initiatives involving, patient experience, staff engagement, registration/scheduling accuracy, and efficiency. Responsible for tracking relevant data that supports improvement initiatives.
- Associate Degree in health related field or business field
- Relevant work experience of 2 years in a health field may be substituted for degree
- 2 years previous experience in medical business office, admitting/patient registration services
- 1 year supervisory experience in a medical setting preferred
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
Working knowledge of:
- Insurance companies, Medicare, Medicaid, Veteran’s Administration and other payers
- Relevant workflows and processes found in health care delivery systems
- Multi-line phone systems
- Using computerized health care information management systems
- Communication, analytical, and interpersonal skills
- Management of day to day personnel issues
- Interact positively and effectively with providers, nursing, physicians, other staff, and patients
- Provide a customer service focus
- Prioritize work assignments and accomplish quality work with in set time limits
- Perform multiple complex administrative processes simultaneously, independently and with a high degree of confidentiality
At SEARHC, we see our employees as our strongest assets. It is our priority to further their development and our organization by aiding in their professional advancement. Working at SEARHC is more than a job, it’s a fulfilling career.
We offer generous benefits, including retirement, paid time off, paid parental leave, health, dental, and vision benefits, life insurance and long and short-term disability, and more.
Check out our SEARHC YouTube Video below!